Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Something Blue


A while back I posted a review of Emily Giffin’s Something Borrowed. (Laura's Book Nook: Something Borrowed) It still holds up as one of my all time favourite books and I definitely love the sequel Something Blue just as much.

Just to recap, Something Borrowed tells the story of a young woman named Rachel as she goes through a secret affair with her best friend, Darcy’s, fiancé. The realistic narrative of this novel made it relatable to me, even though I have never been (and never would want to be) in a similar situation to Rachel. It may sound silly, but I’m sure that all readers will find themselves rooting for Rachel. If you’re a chick lit lover and have somehow managed to avoid this book up until now, do yourself a favour and check it out.

Giffin’s follow up, Something Blue, takes a different approach by showcasing the affair’s aftermath from Darcy’s point of view.  This is interesting because throughout Something Borrowed readers tend to dislike Darcy because of her bossy and manipulative personality. Giffin's decision to have Darcy as the focal point of a sequel whose predecessor was based around a very likable narrator could have been seen as a risky decision. I questioned the decision initially because I assumed Something Blue would not have the same relatable and fun aspects that I loved so much about Something Borrowed.

I was wrong. Readers (just like me) who loved Something Borrowed will find very similar themes and qualities in its sequel. Although Darcy continues to come across as spoiled and controlling you get to see a lot more depth to her character in this book (and rightfully so since she is the narrator this time around). I was able to sympathize with her in this book – something I was unable to do throughout Something Borrowed – and I really got a feel for what she was going through.

After finding out about Dex (Darcy’s fiancé) and Rachel’s affair, Darcy flees to London where she quickly learns that she can no longer get by on her charm and good looks alone. Something Blue showcases Darcy’s journey towards self-discovery, understanding and true love.

This book does a wonderful job of wrapping up an already fantastic story. It shows that there are always two sides to every story and that friendships and romantic relationships are not always as cookie cutter basic as other chick lit novels often make them out to be.  Something Borrowed is Rachel’s story and Something Blue is Darcy’s. They are two very different characters with two very different stories – each equally as fast passed and entertaining. 

I cannot say enough about how absolutely fantastic this two book series is. It’s fun and quirky with characters that feel like your best friends.

There is still no official word if Something Blue will be getting a movie adaptation to follow in the footsteps of 2011’s Something Borrowed Staring Gennifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson. I'd love to see it happen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment